Church Crevasses

Church Crevasses
After sleeping in crevices for years on end, I crawl out of one and and take my own photo for my book cover.

Friday 18 May 2012

Smokin' Joe Frazier!


What a Great 5*****Star Read!

 Smokin' Joe: The Autobiography of a Heavyweight Champion of the World, Smokin' Joe Frazier.




I’ve seen all of Joe Frazier’s fights and watched them dozens of times, so when I finished reading his great autobiography in the Hobart library in Tasmania, I dreamed of meeting him one day when The Hobo invades America. I read his autobiography just six months before he passed away and I caught this photo of his book in my hand. My Higher Power, Mt Wellington, is seen in the background through the library window. Joe Frazier’s book was fantastic and I loved reading about his hard childhood before his boxing days, and though he was poor, he had a wonderful family. Smokin Joe had a great sense of humour, both in-and-out of the ring and was obviously as funny as Jerry Lewis and Muhammad Ali. I loved Joe Frazier’s hilarious and absorbing literature, especially the part about bug-eyed nut-balls and whipping scamboogas and such.

Six months after reading this inspiring book, I cried when hearing of the planet's best heavyweight passing away. Philadelphia lost its greatest heavyweight champion and I'm saddened because now I’ll never get to meet this compassionate and kind man who treated everyone as an equal, and after reading his story, I know that he wouldn’t treat a homeless boxer any different to a rich one, which is unlike the way I’ve been treated. Maybe the spirit of Smokin' Joe will join me on my next run up my Higher Power, Mt Wellington, along with Bon Scott from ACDC.

There should be a statue at the top of the Philadelphia steps of the great Joe Frazier, the real heavyweight champion of the world, not some actor.

I hope the Frazier family are all okay and I thank them for keeping Smokin' Joe’s legacy strong for all of his fans.

Here is a link to his great book on Amazon Books: 

No comments:

Post a Comment